13 November, 2008

Visiting the last century

I am at the museum's visitor centre working the meet-n-greet desk for the lady who normally does this, but, obviously, she needed the day off. Normally this is not a problem, and normally I have advanced warning so that I can be prepared for days like today. I was asked to step in for her at 10 am, and so find myself thrown back to a strange, old world.

I am using IE to do my web browsing today, and this version is so old that it doesn't even have the 'new tab' options. It also does terrible things to my IJ layout. E-mail? Right out unless I go straight to gmail because I cannot figure out how to configure Outlook on this old thing. I think it is coal fired. My work computer is at least steam-powered... I am not a steam-punk aficionado for nothing, my friends... and I really am pining for my HP notebook.

It is cold and raining, so visitation is nil and I am without my NaNo idea notebook, so I'm pretty much sitting here watching the rain fall and working up the bravery to attempt a bit more web browsing. If not, I'll find some scrap paper, or raid the photocopier for paper, and work on other ideas and outlines until I can get home and back into the 21st century.

Ah the past, it is a strange country when one does not have the proper tools to tweak technology.

No comments: