07 January, 2009

Well, that didn't last long...

No, really, the euphoria of a new year coming in is still here, although slightly elusive at the moment. I shall blame the weather. My shoulder and knee are in a state of constant aching from the rain, and while that's not horrible on its own, it occurring hand-in-glove with getting back into the normal routine elevates it [the ache] to a grumble worthy event.

Other grumbles? Algebra. The bane of my existence has returned with unholy glee. However, I now have geometry to attack back with, as the beastiette's class has moved into the realms of geometry.

I will never, ever again watch another news programme. Made that mistake last night, and well... enough said.

Head cold? We are currently in the midst of a wild on again/off again romance. I'm all for the off bits, but the cold is pushing for on. Hopefully I will win, but given that I went to bed at 11[!!] last night and slept until 8:30 this morning might be an ill omen. Time to step up the C again, and lay in a stock of peppers, ginger, and raw honey.

On the other hand, there is good news.

Parent/Teacher conference for the beastiette went well. Oh the horror of middle school... Her classwork and participation are 'A' level, but she's consistently failling to turn in her homework, which is odd considering that she does her homework each night. The root of the problem is the locker area, which is an absolute pit of monstrous horror and confusion, a sentiment expressed by the teachers. We went to the beastiette's locker, she opened it, had time to find all the missing assignments and give them to her teachers. We're working on a strategy for her so she can by-pass the pit of horrors from now on; and while the teachers cannot relax their rules and let her go back to get her work if she's hassled and jostled overly much, they are going to accept it from her if she takes it to the office and asks the secretaries to put the work in the teacher's in-box. I will be buying a larger binder for her and several pocket folders to go into it so she can just carry everything with her and only need to use the locker to store her coat, lunch, and book bag each day.

I am emerging from the mid-winter hibernation and beginning to turn my mind to sharing more here now that there's been some 'me' time. Granted much of that time was spent surrounded by family, but that too is good. Next time, though, I am going to find a way to sneak a few days just to myself in there, though.

I have some hand-written letters to post this week. I've just been finding my thoughts scattered trying to sit down and send emails lately, although with being back to the 9-5 routine, that might change again with the shifting energies. Still, there is a wonderful magic in pen, ink, and paper.

Other [not quite] breaking news:

The new face of Doctor Who. The internet feeding frenzy is just mind-boggling! Holy cow, people! It is a television programme. The world will not implode with this change. Hmm... If all those people just harnessed their energy and did something productive in the world, I might be able to watch the evening news again. That said, he is a bit goofy looking, but I double-dog dare you to show me one Doctor [with the exception of Peter Davison] who wasn't just a bit goofy looking. Also, I did quite like his interview in the Confidential and, as with every other new Doctor, will reserve judgment until I see his performance on screen.

With that, my coffee mug is sadly empty again and I must go remedy that before stepping back into the daily grind.

No comments: