26 January, 2009

Monday's mix

I have seen the PEDTM ideas floating around f-lists now and in the past, and one time flirted with the idea*. Then I realised that there are days where my morning pages read like this:
I don't know what to write. That's fine. Just write something. But I don't know what to write. That's fine, just write something. But... I don't know what to write. Okay, just write something. But. I. Don't. Know. What. To. Write. That's. Okay. Just. Write. Something.
Yes, block-buster material there, I tell you. If my PEDTM entries were like that, I'd feel obliged to post everyone who read it a gift card to the local vintner, and as that is not feasible, I think that I will continue to skip the PEDTM.

You're welcome. *grin*

The abbreviated Report from the River Styx**: A very relaxing time, indeed. Mer and I left a little later than planned, as I just took longer to wake up than I wanted. I was tired, what can I say. Happily, driving at 80mph did no damage to us or the car, and we made it, more or less, on time. The beasties spent the weekend at their friend's house, which included a Saturday exclusively spent playing WarHammer40K, so I think they enjoyed their own time doing their 'stuff'.

The birthday party for my niece was at The Little Gym. It's a franchise run gymnastics school for the wee'uns, and they had a grand time. Mer was the oldest there, but she loves the little ones and was just in heaven with Hailey and Shelby, who are almost six and looking up to her as they buzzed about the gym.

After cupcakes and singing, we went to my aunt's house for dinner and to celebrate the other five birthdays. Yes! Six in the span of 12 days. We have sour beef and dumplings each year, and dear god, I swear it tastes better and better each year.

Sunday we just puttered around, we girls. Other than packing and unpacking the car [all of one overnight bag, so it wasn't a huge ordeal, really] we did nothing. Mer played her DS games and once we were home, I started a new game of FFVIII. Haven't played that for a long time, and I had fun. I was going to load up FFX, but the lure of Blitzball is too strong and I'd not resurface for ages. It's probably a good thing that Blitzball isn't a real world sport.

All told, it was good... it was needed by all... and I intend to keep it like this.


*Although, PEDTM posts might just contain things like this:
Grilled Vegetable and Mozzarella Panini

Ingredients
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 8 slices (1/4 inch each)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 8 slices (1/4 inch each)
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
8 slices ciabatta
1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
8 large fresh basil leaves

Preparation - Whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; place vegetables in 1 layer on sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant and zucchini with vinegar mixture. Spray all vegetables with cooking spray and place under broiler, 7 to 8 minutes, turning once and coating with cooking spray. Lightly brush 4 bottom slices of ciabatta with remaining vinegar mixture; pile veggies, cheese and basil on each of the slices. Close sandwiches; spray both sides with cooking spray. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add sandwiches. Place a second skillet on top of sandwiches and press down. Cook 4 minutes, flipping once. Serve.


**There will be a longer one, and most likely f-locked, so there you have it.

No comments: